Q: Good afternoon ma’am. Please ma’am, I am 12 weeks pregnant and I mistakenly ate something prepared with potash. I am scare though I only ate a small quantity. I bend down to sweep, is it also dangerous?
A: Hi dear, congratulations on your pregnancy.
Well, if you’ve taken the potash already, nothing to be gained by worrying about it. Where in doubt, please see your doctor.
Bending is okay in pregnancy but it has to be done the proper way…bending at the knees and not twisting your body while at it ☺ I suggest that you use the long-handled brushes for sweeping as opposed to the local/native brooms that require bending…in probably uncomfortable ways.
Pregnant women get lots of advice: from friends, mothers, mothers-in-law, colleagues, husbands etc. Sometimes it’s confusing to know what’s true and what’s not.
Here’s our take on some of them:
The first breast milk, colostrum, should be discarded as it is dirty and causes rashes in children
Colostrum is the first milk produced by the mother and is loaded with antibodies and nutrients needed by the baby. Babies should not be deprived of this milk.
Women should not take the prenatal vitamins (antenatal drugs) given at the hospitals because it makes babies grow unnecessarily big.
The iron tablets are important to prevent anaemia (blood shortage) in pregnant women and the folic acid ensures that baby’s spine develops well with no defects. In fact, it is advised that women who wish to get pregnant should start taking folic acid about 3 months before they conceive.
Want to to know more? Get details from the book, Just For The Health Of It. You can get a copy via the shop now link on our facebook page. Or you can get it through:
1) Laterna Books online shop with nationwide delivery. Just click on this link:https://www.laternabooks.com/laterna_product_details.php?v=15450&c=44
2) Another option for those in Lagos is Laterna Bookshop on 13, Oko-Awo Close, Off Adetokunbo Ademola Street, Victoria Island.
3) If you’re outside the country, please visit Amazon through this link http://www.amazon.com/Just-Health-Ketch-Pregnancy-Parenting/dp/9789398026/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426246647&sr=1-1&keywords=just+for+the+health+of+it+with+dr+ketch+olalere+nkechi
4) For those in Abuja and environs, please call 07030739403 or pick it up at No 5 Bricks Market, Dawaki 11 Market, Dawaki extension.
5) For those in Awka, please call 08189944090.
Have a good evening, y’all 😀