Q: Hi doc please assist. My belly keeps on getting bigger and I’m not pregnant
A: Usually, there are five Fs associated with abdomens getting bigger 😀 Want to guess? I’ll tell you 😀
- Fat: It could very well be that your abdominal distension is due to fat: visceral fat which is located all around your organs. This places one at risk of heart diseases.
- Faeces: If one is constipated, then the abdomen could get distended. So, make a habit of ‘emptying’ out daily 😀 If you keep to my often-repeated advice of eating lots of fruits and veggies, you won’t need to make an effort. It will happen naturally 😀
- Flatus: If you feel very gassy, you will feel uncomfortable and your tummy may also be out there 😀
- Fetus: Pregnancy is the most common cause of abdominal distension in a woman of reproductive age. So, you might want to check this out.
- Fluid: Fluid in the abdominal cavity can cause abdominal distension. This can happen in heart failure, kidney failure or with liver problems.
So, please, go see your doctor asap. Let him/her examine you and make a proper diagnosis. That will determine the right course of management.
Have a good evening, y’all 😀