Q: Dr. each time l return from work l look so unreasonably tired. What can I do?
A: I’m sure most people can identify with this. I’m assuming that beyond looking tired, you do feel tired too. That tiredness that appears to be a permanent fixture especially in a city like Lagos, Nigeria as we all attempt to out-run each other in the rat race 😀 In most instances where no specific medical ailment can be found, stress is the biggest culprit…what with multiple bills to pay, traffic, insurgency and terrorism etc
Other causes include:
• Psychological issues: Anxiety and depression
• Physical causes: Being under or overweight
• Lifestyle causes: Excessive alcohol abuse etc
To prevent this,
• Have a regular sleep routine and be sure that you have good sleep habits (no TVs in room, no work before bed time etc) and catch sufficient amounts of sleep daily.
• Drink sufficient amounts of water and eat healthy. 5 small meals comprising of three major meals and 2 snacks are useful, ensuring that your blood sugar level is maintained at an optimal state. Be sure to ensure that your meals have more fruits/veggies, proteins and complex carbs like local rice, oat meal, beans etc
• Exercise and keep your weight within normal levels. Ever wondered the link between exercise and stress? Well, click on this link 😀 https://chatwithdrketch.com/2013/12/29/daily-health-tips-stressful-exercise/
• Reduce your consumption of alcohol or stop all together 🙂
• Deal with your stress more constructively. Know what you can handle..and then handle it. Know what you have no control over and adapt to it or accept it. Just remember the serenity prayer….
God grant me the serenity
to accept the things I cannot change;
courage to change the things I can;
and wisdom to know the difference.
For more on coping with stress and dealing with fatigue, please click on the links below:
Have a good night, y’all 😀