#HLWDK Daily Health Tips: Occasional Leg Pain

Q: Hi Dr. Good day to you. Please Dr. I have been having a sharp pain on my leg right inside the bones for some time now. The pain is occasional and lasts for seconds. What might this be and what should I do about it? Thanks

A: Thanks for writing in. The pain in your right leg may need further evaluation.

There are quite a number of causes of pain in the leg. Pain in one leg may be due to an injury, a fall or hitting the leg against an object. This pain may be felt immediately after the incident that caused it and subside after a few days, with the proper care. It can also linger for some time, if perhaps there was a break in the bone which was not properly taken care of and affected some nerves.
Other causes include arthritis, leg swelling from different causes like infection, vein abnormalities, diseases like heart problems, diabetes, and liver problems. In long standing hypertension, or diabetes that is not properly managed, there could be nerve problems, often described as a cramp, feeling of lack of blood, or a feeling like pins pricking the feet. The pain could also result from a muscle cramp, which typically occurs at night and may last a few seconds to minutes. There is also condition known as familial recurrent knee dislocation, in which there is repeated dislocation of the knee, followed by a fall, due to lack of stability. It runs in families and can be very painful too. There are also some cancers that can give similar symptoms.

I would advise that you reduce stress on your legs as much as possible, i.e. avoid standing for too long. You could also start some mild exercises focusing on the legs. These may help to strengthen any lax ligaments and improve blood flow, thereby helping any nerve disease, if that’s responsible.

Good diet, rich in proteins and vitamins are also important. You may occasionally take a mild pain relief to reduce the pain (but do not make it a habit). If the pain worsens or continues despite pain tablets, please see your doctor.

In conclusion, I strongly recommend you see a doctor who will take a proper history and examine you thoroughly, and proffer a line of management for your symptoms.

Hope this helps, Best wishes

****The answer to this question was contributed by a doctor guest blogger.

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s