Daily Health Tips: Can Parents With AA And AS Genotypes Avoid Having A Baby With Sickle Cell Trait?


Q: Good evening doctor, please I want to know how parents with AA and AS genotype can avoid AS baby?
 
A: Thanks for writing in.
 
Parents with AA and AS genotype have a 75% chance of having children with AA genotype and 25% chance of having a child with AS genotype. People with this sort of genotype are said to have the sickle cell trait and they usually do not have symptoms of sickle cell disease. Please note that the chances noted here are mathematical probabilities and so it could very well be that none of this couple’s children would be AS or it could very well be that all or half of them could be AA!
 
It is possible to know the genotype of the baby before birth through prenatal diagnosis. Speak with your doctor about this.
 
For more on gentotypes, please click on this link:
 
 
 
Be sure to catch our tips tonight on Silverbird TV by 9.55pm. Today we discuss ‘Healthy Nutrition on The Go!’ Don’t miss it!
 
Have a good night, y’all 😀
Advertisements
This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s