Q: Greetings Dr.My sister is aged 21 and weigh 80 kg. After all the nice slimming course programs given to her, it doesn’t lead to a positive results. What can she do to cut down this weight of her’s, please?
A: Thanks for caring about your sister and writing in.
The first and perhaps most important thing I would like to say is that weight loss is not an event but a lifestyle. And so, it’s not something that happens after you have attended a course or taken some pills, but something you need to build into your everyday lifestyle.
Three very important concepts to help this journey:
• Portion Control: Start with reducing the portion sizes you eat. This could be by just changing plates…switch from a big plate to a smaller plate.
• Eat Healthier: Make your plate colourful with fruits and veggies.
Half your plate should be filled with fruits and veggies. The other half should be divided into 2 (a quarter each).
One quarter should contain the protein you wish to eat: fish, beef, chicken etc. Remember that white meat is healthier. The ‘redder’ the meat, the less healthy it is for you. For instance in chicken, the breast is very white and is the part people like the least. It is the healthiest though. The chicken wings etc with more redness are less healthy!
For carbohydrates, stick with complex carbs. These have a lot of fibre and when eaten, they absorb water and stay in the stomach longer given a feeling of fullness. The sugars from the food is also released slowly thereby preventing blood sugar spikes which are not good for you. Good examples of complex carbs include beans, local rice, oatmeal etc
• Get moving: Get, at least, 30 minutes of exercise on 5 days of the week. This could be walking, running, swimming, dancing, doing jumping jacks during the commercial break in between your favourite show etc.
For more creative exercise ideas, please lick on this link:
So, the most important ingredient for weight loss is self control 😀 And that’s why it’s not a destination but a journey. Sometime, you may slip and fall; but don’t give up! Pull yourself up and start all over again. Everyday provides a new opportunity to do more, be better and push the envelope.
For more resources on weight loss, make yourself and someone else happy by getting a copy of the book, Just For The Health Of It, from any of the following outlets:
1) Laterna Books online shop with nationwide delivery. Just click on this link:https://www.laternabooks.com/laterna_product_details.php?v=15450&c=44
2) Another option for those in Lagos is Laterna Bookshop on 13, Oko-Awo Close, Off Adetokunbo Ademola Street,. Victoria Island.
3) Jumia.com. Just click on this link http://www.jumia.com.ng/jumia-books-just-for-the-health-of-it-with-dr-ketch-179486.html and get a copy. You have the option of paying when the book is delivered to you or paying online. This service is available all over Nigeria.
4) If you’re outside the country, please visit Amazon through this linkhttp://www.amazon.com/Just-Health-Ketch-Pregnancy-Parenting/dp/9789398026/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426246647&sr=1-1&keywords=just+for+the+health+of+it+with+dr+ketch+olalere+nkechi
For those in Abuja and environs, please call 07030739403 or pick it up at No 5 Bricks Market, Dawaki 11 Market, Dawaki extension.
For those in Awka, please call 08189944090.
Have a great week ahead, y’all 😀