Q: Hello Dr. I am very proud of you for the great job you have been doing. My problem is that anytime I make love to my wife, she will be having stomach ache. Why? Please help me Dr.
A: Thanks for your kind words.
There are a couple of reasons why a woman could feel pain during sexual intercourse.
The pain could be felt in the vagina or the pelvic region (lower abdomen)
• The causes of pain in the vagina could be
• Lack of adequate foreplay/lack of arousal
• Vaginal irritation from soaps or even the latex of condoms
• Vaginismus, a condition in which the muscles around the vagina shut tightly making sexual intercourse painful or impossible.
• Other causes include infections (STIs), menopause etc
Pelvic pain during sex could be due to
• Fibroids. For information on fibroids, please click on https://chatwithdrketch.com/2014/05/29/daily-health-tips-are-there-other-treatment-methods-for-fibroids-other-than-surgery/
• Constipation. For information on constipation, please click on https://chatwithdrketch.com/2014/01/31/daily-health-tips-why-am-i-always-constipated/
• Pelvic Inflammatory Disease (PID). For information on PID, please click on https://chatwithdrketch.com/2014/09/22/daily-health-tips-what-is-pid/
• Endometriosis (in which the lining of the womb is found outside of the womb). For information on endometriosis, please click on https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/02/01/daily-health-tips-severe-cramps-during-menstrual-period/
So, please take your wife to see a gynaecologist. He will take a proper history, examine her and perhaps run a scan amongst other investigations.
In the meantime, loads of patience and finding other ways of sharing intimacy are great ways to show love and support to your wife at this time.
Hopefully, this too shall pass 😀
Have a good night, y’all 😀