Q: Hello ma’am, please advise me. My sister is two weeks pregnant and she’s feeling stomach pains. She said the pain is like menstruation pain, like the menses want to come
A: Hi dear, thanks for writing in.
Abdominal pain in pregnancy may or may not be serious. Although this is occurring in early pregnancy, I have described abdominal pain in different stages of pregnancy.
Harmless causes include:
· The growing womb (uterus)
· Braxton-Hicks contractions (these are ‘fake’ contractions preparing the womb for the main event :D)
Serious causes of pain during pregnancy include:
· Ectopic pregnancy. To learn about ectopic pregnancy, please click on this link https://chatwithdrketch.com/2014/08/07/daily-health-tips-what-are-my-options-after-ectopic-pregnancy-and-failed-ivf/
· Pre-term labour. To learn about this, please click on this link: https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/07/28/daily-health-tips-am-i-leaking-amniotic-fluid-liquor-amnii/
· Miscarriage. To read more on miscarriage, please click on this link: https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/07/23/daily-health-tips-im-scared-of-getting-pregnant-after-two-miscarriages/
· Placental abruption. To learn more, click on this link: https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/03/26/daily-health-tips-placental-abruption/
· Urinary tract infection. To learn more, please click on this link https://chatwithdrketch.com/2016/02/19/daily-health-tips-re-visiting-chronic-utis/
· Pre-eclampsia. To learn more, please click on this link: https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/10/23/daily-health-tips-protein-in-urine-during-pregnancy/
Having said all these, you probably have no way of knowing what is harmless or not. So err on the side of caution and see your doctor if ‘it just doesn’t feel right’.
I hope this helps.