Q: Good morning Dr. Please, I have a question, ma’am. I’m trying to conceive but I want to lose some weight although have been taking green tea and lemon warm water for like 7 days now. I hope it won’t affect me or should I stop? Thanks ma’am
A: Thanks for writing in. This is a very interesting question.
To prepare for pregnancy, some lifestyle habits can help:
- Healthy choices in terms of diet (practice portion control, eat lots of fruits and veggies etc), keeping a healthy weight (try and stay within your BMI)
- Exercise most days a week for at least 30 minutes,
- Manage your stress etc.
- Folic acid supplements are also great as they help protect baby from defects in their neural tubes (spinal cord)
- Having sexual intercourse closer to the time of ovulation may be helpful in increasing chances of pregnancy. Does this also increase the chances of having a baby boy or girl? Despite ‘claims’ that male chromosomes swim faster, there’s no guarantee that having sexual intercourse on any particular day, ovulation or otherwise, increases the chance of pregnancy with either sex. This matter is solely in God’s domain except sex selection is done as can happen for some IVF patients.
- Stay off alcohol and smoking
You would observe that I have not asked you to stay off lemons 😀 This is because it does not affect your chances of pregnancy 🙂
Taking too much of it can hurt your teeth or make heart burn worse, especially in pregnancy. Where in doubt, always consult your doctor.
All the best!