Q: Good evening ma’am. Please my question is that my mum has been going to toilet and the poo will be coming without control, since two months ago. Is it because she’s diabetic and please is it treatable?
A: Hello there! Thanks for writing in. Your question sounds like one I had responded to some years back and I have re-posted it here. It also answers your questions.
Q: Why is it that diabetics sweat a lot?
A: Everyone sweats when they have exerted themselves like after exercise, staying out on a hot day, staying in a poorly ventilated room or even when anxious. However, sweating in a cool room with no source of anxiety may mean that things are not A-okay. This is usually typified by night sweats which are not related to sleeping in a stuffy room.
Do diabetics sweat more than others? Yes and I’ll tell you why. The high sugar level in Diabetes is thought to affect nerve function in several different ways. One of the ways is by affecting the nerves that control involuntary body functions (Diabetic Autonomic Neuropathy) like sweating, urinating, sexual arousal etc. This can lead to increased or reduced activities of the organs involved. For instance:
• If it affects the intestines, people experience diarrhoea or constipation.
• If it affects the stomach, it can limit the ability of food to move through the digestive system causing bloating and vomiting
• If it affects the nerves that control erection when there is sexual arousal, it can lead to erectile dysfunction. However, the sexual desire is unaffected.
• It can cause paralysis of the bladder such that the usual impulse to urinate when the bladder is full is lost. This leads to urine being stored for long periods in the bladder causing Urinary Tract Infections.
• It can even blunt people’s normal response to low blood sugar such that they no longer feel the warning signs and can’t take preventive measures.
• Diabetics, still as a result of nerve damage, either sweat a lot or don’t even sweat when hot.
So, if you are diabetic or know anyone who is, blood sugar control is very key.
I hope this helps!