Evening Dr Ketch. Ma’am, please my sister is 7 weeks pregnant and she feel this discomfort in my stomach after eating and a sharp menstrual pain like at the lower part of her stomach. Hope she will be ok and the pregnancy too
A: Hi dear, thanks for writing in.
Abdominal pain in pregnancy may or may not be serious.
Harmless causes include:
· The growing womb (uterus)
· Braxton-Hicks contractions (these are ‘fake’ contractions preparing the womb for the main even :D)
Serious causes of pain during pregnancy include:
· Ectopic pregnancy. To learn about ectopic pregnancy, please click on this link https://chatwithdrketch.com/2014/08/07/daily-health-tips-what-are-my-options-after-ectopic-pregnancy-and-failed-ivf/
· Pre-term labour. To learn about this, please click on this link: https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/07/28/daily-health-tips-am-i-leaking-amniotic-fluid-liquor-amnii/
· Miscarriage. To read more on miscarriage, please click on this link: https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/07/23/daily-health-tips-im-scared-of-getting-pregnant-after-two-miscarriages/
· Placental abruption. To learn more, click on this link: https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/03/26/daily-health-tips-placental-abruption/
· Urinary tract infection. To learn more, please click on this link https://chatwithdrketch.com/2016/02/19/daily-health-tips-re-visiting-chronic-utis/
· Pre-eclampsia. To learn more, please click on this link: https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/10/23/daily-health-tips-protein-in-urine-during-pregnancy/
Having said all these, you probably have no way of knowing what is harmless or not. So err on the side of caution and see your doctor if ‘it just doesn’t feel right’.
I hope this helps.
Have a good night, everyone 😀