Q: Good evening Dr. Please I have been having constant boil in my armpit. Please can I know the reasons? A: Hi dear, thanks for writing in. Sorry to hear about your challenge.
Pain and swelling in the underarm (which is how a boil would appear) can be very uncomfortable.
There are a couple of things that can trigger these:
• Deodorants: These can cause skin irritation which can lead to boils. The delicate and sensitive skin of the underarms and the sweat that can accumulate there making it a rich culture medium for germs are factors that have been implicated. Solution: You may have to try another one…find one without fragrance or perhaps, formulated for sensitive skin. Reading the labels will provide this information
• Shaving: A lot of people can identify with this…bumps in the underarm after shaving. This can happen if you do not shave properly. Try shaving after taking a bath when the hair is moist and the skin hydrated. If this does not suffice, you may have to find alternative means of removing underarm hair eg depilatory cream.
• Infection of the hair follicles from cuts or injuries to the underarm, or from friction caused by wearing tight clothing. So, be careful while shaving and try to wear clothes that are more loose fitting (especially under the arms) and/or focus on fabrics that can ‘breathe’ like cotton
• Dirt or debris from excessive sweating can clog up hair follicles leading to painful lumps. Personal hygiene is key. Don’t be miserly with bathing and be sure to ‘take care’ of the underarms and other areas like the groin that tend to accumulate sweat and raise a stink • Infections due to viruses or bacteria.
• Cancer of the breast may also present like this. I hope this helps. If none of these solutions help, please see your doctor.
Fingers crossed, it’s nothing more serious 😀
For related posts, please click on https://chatwithdrketch.com/2015/02/06/daily-health-tips-how-can-i-prevent-rashes-after-a-shave/ https://chatwithdrketch.com/2014/07/14/daily-health-tips-how-do-i-get-rid-of-excessive-facial-hair/
Have a great night, y’all 😀