Pregnancy is such an awesome time. Okay, I know those of you who have a hard time with pregnancy are wondering whether to throw rotten tomatoes at me 😀 Hold your peace! But the truth is, when you’re not feeling absolutely horrible, you’re elated at the thought of the life growing in you, aren’t you. It’s such an awesome responsibility to be given…the nurturing and birthing of this child. Don’t get me started on this….
Okay, with this huge responsibility comes even more responsibilities 😀 There is the need to eat right to nurture the growing life inside that huge tummy. Eating right is not necessarily eating for two…I know we’ve all heard the feeding for two fable. Trust me, in pregnancy, your calorie requirement doesn’t increase in first trimester, increases by just 300 calories in second trimester and about 400 calories in the 3rd trimester …if you’re carrying just one baby. For multiple pregnancies this increases slightly.
Here are 5 nutrition tips for a pregnant woman:
• Eat a balanced diet with a variety of foods from different food groups.
• Be sure to include a lot of high fibre foods like vegetables, whole grain cereals etc to deal with the constipation associated with pregnancy.
• Ensure you take your antenatal medications (prenatal vitamins) in addition to eating well.
• Be sure to also take foods rich in iron eg and foods rich in folic acid eg green leafy veggies and beans. Folate prevents deformities of the spine.
• Drink at least 4 servings of milk, other dairy products or calcium rich foods. If you don’t eat enough, your baby will start drawing on your own stock from your bones. So, drink up your milk!
Pregnancy provides an opportunity for a mother to adequately prepare her baby for life in 9 months. Make sure that you get all the nutrients that give your child a great health boost.
Have a great weekend y’all 😀