Q: Thank you ma’am. How do we identify good oils for consumption?
A: Great question. The answer that I am sharing below speaks generally about things to do to prevent heart diseases and also addresses your question.
Nobody wants to die young and heart diseases are a leading cause of death worldwide. Eating healthy is a task that may appear daunting especially in a place like Nigeria, as we really do not have a culture of reading food labels in these parts. So here are some quick tips to help ensure you are getting enough of the good fats:
• Cook with healthier oils. Generally, oils that are liquid at room temperature are good for you. If the oil is solid at room temperature, give it a miss.
• Snack on nuts. You can also add them to salads for an extra crunch. I also like them in my yoghurt. Remember to go easy on portions and serve by the handful
• Avocados are a good source of mono-unsaturated fats which help protect your heart and prevent stroke. You can eat it on its own, use it in a wheat bread sandwich, throw it into a salad or even serve it up with some jollof rice
• Stock up on fatty fish like sardines and mackerel. They are good sources of Omega-3 fatty acids which is great for your heart
• Remember that even with healthy options, portion control is key. Always keep this in mind.
Have a good evening J