Help! I’m pregnant and my doctor says my baby is big!
Just in case you weren’t quite convinced by the ‘you don’t have to eat for two’ advice, this question on big babies should help.
Q: Doc, I am an expectant mother in the last trimester. My Doc told me my baby is big. What does this mean? Am I safe?
A: The focus should be on what caused the big baby and what can be done to ensure that you and baby come out okay.
Big babies are usually seen in women who
• Are diabetic.
• Have gestational Diabetes (Diabetes that is observed during pregnancy),
• Are obese
• Have had another big baby before
• Have had a lot of babies (from the 5th pregnancy, the risk of big babies increase)
• Excessive weight gain during pregnancy
• Are older. From age 35 years, the risk of having a big baby increases
• Have pregnancies that are overdue. When a pregnancy is more than 2 weeks overdue, the chances of a big baby are increased.
For women with big babies (fetal macrosomia), a vaginal delivery may not be a complete no no! However, your OBGYN will weigh the risk of that against your medical history and other pre-existing medical conditions.
To prevent this, remember that feeding for 2 is a fad. You don’t really need to eat like a horse 😀 You and your baby don’t need that much.
If you’d like to know more about how to prevent this and how to cope if you have this condition in pregnancy, get details from the book, Just For The Health Of It. You can get a copy via the shop now link on our facebook page. Or you can get it through:
1) Jumia.com. Just click on this link http://www.jumia.com.ng/jumia-books-just-for-the-health-of-it-with-dr-ketch-179486.html and get a copy. You have the option of paying when the book is delivered to you or paying online. This service is available all over Nigeria.
2) Another option for those in Lagos is Laterna Bookshop on 13, Oko-Awo Close, Off Adetokunbo Ademola Street,. Victoria Island.
3) If you’re outside the country, please visit Amazon through this link http://www.amazon.com/Just-Health-Ketch-Pregnancy-Parenting/dp/9789398026/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1426246647&sr=1-1&keywords=just+for+the+health+of+it+with+dr+ketch+olalere+nkechi
Have a great week ahead, people 😀